Friday, 13 June 2014

Couldn't make it up, part 2

If you thought placing life-sized cardboard coppers in shops to deter shoplifters was a stupid idea, this is worse.....

"A police force has sparked confusion by recruiting an army of garden gnomes in a bid to fight summer crime. The 10 ornaments - in police uniforms - will act as the centrepiece of a new campaign...stunts will include officers placing the gnomes inside cars which have the windows left open - and they will then post pictures on the force’s Facebook page."

Last year Leicester Police decided to hang woolly pompoms from the trees to try and reassure sceptical locals that a crime-ridden park was safe to walk in. These gnomes are the brainchild of Durham Police, which thoughtfully painted some of them black in order to avoid charges of racism.

As the police increasingly retreat into their fortress-like ivory towers they not only become more ineffectual. They become more hostile to the public too. I wonder if this is deliberate Home Office policy - or Europol policy, perhaps?

6 comments:

  1. Don't tell me it's April the 1st.
    I thought the police force already consisted of garden gnomes dressed as coppers or maybe that's coppers dressed as garden gnomes, I am not sure there is much difference if I am being honest except maybe the gnomes may get a better clear up rate, be less corrupt and I am sure we won't be seeing gnomes in court on rape and molestation charges like some coppers where in our local area last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, why do your comments evade my inbox where I can easily click publish? I have to go on fishing expeditions round the back of Blogger to see if you've said anything lately. Bet you don't read this.

      Delete
  2. I'm confused...very confused... the Police are going to carry gnomes around with them? Is leaving my car window a criminal offence now? Or is the gnome supposed to scare-off the car thief? Were these magic pom-poms? Why on earth were the locals sceptical?....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your confusion is proof that the police know what's best for you, even if you don't. Now take your medication and pay your police precept when you get your council tax bill.

      Delete
  3. Now if this was in London, you would get "I was ticked of by a metrognome!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I an I don't know :S i click on comment and then publish and then it goes and I wait :) There was one time when a comment I left you was never accepted I just assumed i'd been too facetious, as I am prone to do :D.
    But as to why my comment vanished I duunno. Oh and yah boo sucks I did read it :P

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean.....