Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Smoke your way to health

From "Anna frustrated". Thanks to the Filthy Engineer for the link -

"I'm close on seventy years old. In all that time the only health problems I've ever had were associated with sporadic attempts to abandon the dreaded death sticks. Mostly I realised for myself that I'd done it long enough and did the sensible thing. On the last occasion, at the anguished pleading of my then teenage daughter, I lasted five years. By the end of those five years I'd developed virulent psoriasis from stress, was three stone overweight, at severe risk of developing the type 2 diabetes inherent in my family and on such strong prescription anti-depressants that they themselves were sending me insane."

"Eventually the daughter who'd begged me to give it up begged me to take it up again. I did, thirteen years ago. 20-a-day later I'd ditched the anti-depressants, the psoriasis cleared up and I needed no more NHS treatment. I rapidly returned to a healthy weight with no prospect of diabetes and I've never had a day's ill-health since."

"I'm not saying that smoking is good for anyone, or even denying that there are those predisposed to its bad effects. However I do resent the tickbox culture and the fact is whatever NHS costs I have incurred hitherto have been as a direct result of 'giving up' and that no matter what happens to me hereafter there is no NHS cost that could exceed what I have paid in tobacco tax since I was puffing behind the school bike sheds around 1962. Meanwhile the tax on cigarettes goes up & up and my weight goes down & down as I compensate for the tax by reducing food expenditure. Currently at 5' 5" and 6st 9lbs.*"

"That doesn't bother me, it's my choice, but what DOES make me laugh is if I drop dead tomorrow they'll say it's an early 'smoking-related' death and entirely ignore it was probably down to malnourishment due to smoking policy!"


(* Any immature children reading this blog can do the conversion to metric measurements themselves.)


2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I'll have to take it up then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoking kills germs by fumigating the lungs. It should be offered to health-minded schoolchildren as an alternative to sport.

      Delete

Keep it clean.....