Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Cretins of the teaching unions

An occasional series. This is by Mary Bousted, General Secretary of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers -

“I was not a model pupil. I don’t think I was considered especially bright for a grammar school – I was in the lowest sets for French and maths. It was a good school but it was of its time, in that it defined intelligence very narrowly. Other skills and aptitudes were not recognised....I wanted to know how English had come about as a subject. It developed out of the national crisis after the first world war. People saw that a common language and heritage was the way to bind the nation together and create a shared identity.”

So perhaps she should have gone to a comprehensive instead, studying simple maths by rote-learning and French by large-print phrasebook. And it came as a surprise to me to learn that before WW1 we all spoke mutually unintelligible dialects of Angle and Saxon, suspicious of Alfred the Great's modernising tendencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean.....